Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Fall 2010 Meeting_UC Merced Writing Project
Art & Vocabulary with English Language Learners by Maria Munoz
1. Read articles on famous artists
2. Key words
3. View picture- create one sentence looking at the picture.
4. Using visuals in your writing
What the experts say: “Writing exercises that draw upon visual art as a starting occasion have the potential to make students more sensitive to the visual arrangements of words and the imagistic capacities of language” – Lee Upton.
5. Adding words to the picture (descriptive language) – adjectives/ adverbs/ prepositional phrases
6. Return to sentence to revise using more descriptive language choices.